Learning Goal: I’m working on a global studies discussion question and need support to help me learn.
Here are the instructions to answer the question.
I Only have about 24 hours to post it
UNIT 3 REQUIRED READINGS/VIDEOS:
> From the Global Issues Text:
– Chapter 5. Heritage Languages: Are they an endangered species?
– Chapter 6. Body Image: How does body image affect identity and status, and how has the transnational flow of Western ideals of beauty impacted other cultures?
– Chapter 7. Same-Sex Marriage: What are the socio-economic, religious, and political implications of same-sex marriage and changing family structure?
– Chapter 8. Social Media: What is its role in socio-political revolution?
– Chapter 9. Global Nomads: Do Third Culture Kids own a national identity?
> Watch: “In a trailer park, isolated mothers pursue a shared dream”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1b_k2yObCw
UNIT 3 DISCUSSION –
Initial Post: Due Sunday, October 3, 11:59PM CST
Response Posts: Due Wednesday, October 13, 11:59PM CST (NOTE: due date is on a Wednesday, rather than the normal Sunday)
Answer two (2) of the following questions (one of them needs to be directly related to a course reading/video):
- There has been some controversy regarding language revitalization projects. Critics suggest that if there were only one world language, there would be more unity and communication between nations, and commerce would flow more freely. How important do you think speaking a heritage language is? What would we lose and what would we gain if we had one world language?
- What impact does globalization have on body ideals and body image? Are the consequences positive or negative? Why do you consider this the case? Use the textbook to support your answer.
- Culture change is an inevitable part of human society; changing one system of a culture often has an impact on the other systems of a culture. Identify some of the changes in economic, social, political, and religious institutions when same-sex marriage is legitimized.
- In Chapter 8, social media is classified as a communication tool, not a catalyst for change. Do you agree with this assessment? Why or why not? How much influence does social media have on your world view and your knowledge of political situations around the world?
- If you moved to another country temporarily (and some of you have!), would you try to hold on to your cultural practices and values, or would you adopt (assimilate to) your new country’s culture? Do you think it is possible to completely give up a native culture and immerse yourself in a new country? Why or why not?
- Discussion Guidelines: Your posts in the discussion area should exhibit careful thought and logical reasoning and provide evidence for your position. Each post should be at least one well-developed paragraph (approximately 8-10 sentences or more, unless otherwise indicated). Use correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar.