Learning Goal: I’m working on a philosophy question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
1. Why is keeping a promise a duty? In your defense, bring to bear Kant’s first formulation.
2. Do you have duties to yourself? Explain why.
3. What does it mean to say that an action is universal and reversible?
4. What’s Kant’s idea of respect? Bring an example from your own life to apply this idea.
5. Explain the difference between treating a person “as a mean to,” and “merely as a mean to and end”?
6. How do you apply the second principle to yourself? Explain.