In Week 5, we studied social stratification and how it influences what goes on in many social interactions among people. After you have read the textbook and lectures assigned for this week, please respond to the following questions:
- What are the differences between income and wealth, and why do we need to understand these differences to realistically comprehend the meaning of social class?
- Compare and contrast Weber’s and Marx’s approaches to defining social class. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each method?
- In what ways is social class popularly defined in America today? How are cultural definitions of social class communicated?
- In your view, what stands in the way of the underclass experiencing upward social mobility?
Using the textbook and Online Library, write a 2-3 page essay in 12-point font using APA standards that present your findings from interviews with two different individuals regarding their positions in society. You may use this list of suggested questions to conduct your interview.
These interviews can be conducted on co-workers, neighbors, friends, etc. They may be conducted over the phone, via video chat, or in person. Do not use first and last names. You may use pseudonyms or initials.
Your paper should address the following:
- Identify each person’s class, race, and gender, using the terminology in the course textbook and lectures.
- What role has class, race, and gender played in their lives? How do you see stratification as playing a role?
- Analyze each person’s specific components of culture and relate them to his/her stratified position in society.
- Apply one of the sociological perspectives to each of the individuals’ life stories. Why did you choose this particular perspective? How does it explain each person’s life and life choices?
- What are some of the benefits and limitations of using the interview as a research methodology?
Please see the attachment below for the suggested questions
Order an Essay Now & Get These Features For Free: