Learning Goal: I’m working on a biology multi-part question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
- What are the two main classes of agents that can damage DNA, which does not result in dangerous products directly, but rather the products are metabolized by cells into forms that are harmful? (1 point)
- Describe how deamination occurs, provide an example of a spontaneous deamination and what the result is. (4 points)
- Describe in detail how direct repair of DNA works. (3 points)
- What generally makes a first generation cancer drug less desirable than a second generation one? (2 point)
- Find an example of a second generation cancer drug that interacts with DNA in the e-journals and discuss the journal article (10 points)
Using any information you can obtain from appropriate e-journals, quality Internet sites or other appropriate sources, find a disease where antisense research has already been done. You will need to find a disease state where an antisense molecule has been designed to target the mRNA of a protein in the disease. Please provide the following information, being sure to reference your work: (1-7)
- The disease you chose to target [2pts]
- The role of the protein targeted by the antisense [3pts]
- The specific sequence of the mRNA targeted [3pts]
- The specific sequence of your antisense molecule [3pts]
- The specific amino acid sequence affected by binding of the antisense molecule [3pts]
- Why you targeted that specific sequence [3pts]
- Modifications made to the antisense molecule to enhance its resistance to RNAse H; if no modifications were done for your molecule, please discuss possible modifications that can be done. [3pts].