Write a 6-8 page professional development plan for your work as a nurse educator.
In this assessment, you will create a professional development plan that will support continuous improvement in your role as a nurse educator.
The Institute of Medicine has charged nurses to be leaders in health care change, and that requires educators to be at the forefront of those changes.
As you prepare to complete this assessment, you may want to think about other related issues to deepen your understanding or broaden your viewpoint. You are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of your professional community.
Note that these questions are for your own development and exploration and do not need to be completed or submitted as part of your assessment.
- What are some approaches that nurse educators can use when encountering resistance to change?
- How might effective leadership styles be the same or different for the following roles?
- BSN nursing faculty.
- Community health educator.
- Staff development educator.
- What are some ways that scholarship fits with nursing practice?
- Nurse educators are regularly evaluated by students and administrators. There may also be peer evaluations of teaching skills. As an educator, how do you or would you view these evaluation processes? What can be most useful to faculty from student evaluations?
Write a 6–8 page professional development plan for your career as an MSN-prepared nurse. The professional development plan should include the following:
- Introduction – A brief introductory paragraph that clearly states the purpose of the paper. Do not use the heading introduction—use the title of the paper in a Level 1 heading format.
- Area of focus – A description of your specific area of focus in nursing education, the position that you wish to obtain, and the educator competencies that you will need as an MSN-prepared nurse.
- Professional Goals – A statement of your specific professional goals (a minimum of three) and discussion of their relationship to your nurse educator philosophy.
- Influences – A brief description of any additional forces (social, economic, political, institutional) that may influence your nursing education role.
- Analysis – An analysis of how you will carry out scholarship activities as an MSN-prepared nurse and a specific plan for scholarship based on a model.
- Leadership Role – A discussion of specific ways (a minimum of two) that you will develop a leadership role in the area of focus you have chosen.
- Development Plan – Specific plans for professional growth and any additional education, certifications, or training to be acquired.
- Reflection – A reflection in a concluding paragraph on your abilities to meet goals and achieve your professional development plan and ethical practice.
- Format: 12-point Times New Roman or Arial font, double spaced in Microsoft Word.
- Length: 6-8 pages plus a title page and a references page.
- Use correct APA format, including page numbers and a title page. Citations and references (if used) are to be in correct APA format.
- Writing should be free of grammar and spelling errors that distract from content.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the course competencies through the following assessment scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 1: Analyze the historical evolution of nursing education.
- Describe forces (social, economic, political, institutional) that may influence the nurse educator role.
- Competency 3: Analyze professionally established nurse educator competencies and models.
- Describe area of focus as a nurse educator, associated educator competencies, and professional goals in relation to nurse educator philosophy.
- Competency 4: Apply knowledge of legal and ethical issues relevant to higher education and nursing education.
- Assess abilities to meet goals, achieve professional development, and maintain ethical practices.
- Competency 5: Articulate how nurse educator serve as change agents and leaders to help advance nursing education and nursing practice.
- Discuss development of a leadership role in a chosen area of nurse educator focus.
- Competency 6: Develop a plan for engaging in scholarship in an established area of expertise.
- Develop a scholarship plan that includes analysis of how scholarship will be carried out in the nurse educator role.
- Competency 7: Establish a plan for pursuing continuous improvement in the nurse educator role.
- Develop specific plans for professional growth that identify any additional education, certifications, or training to be acquired.
- Competency 8: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with the expectations of a nursing education professional.
- Write coherently to support a central idea with correct grammar, usage, mechanics, and APA format and style as expected of a nursing education professional.