Learning Goal: I’m working on a history question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
Focus paper on The Alchemy of Happiness. (Refer to the course schedule for the specific due date).
This paper focuses on The Alchemy of Happiness written by the Persian, Muslim philosopher Abu Hamid Al-Ghazali. First, read about Al-Ghazali’s background. Then, using specific examples from the website and the book, answer the following questions:
- Who was Al-Ghazali, and why was he important in the history of Islam?
- What is Al-Ghazali’s message in the book? What does he have to say about knowledge, music, love, and marriage?
- What might these teachings tell us about societies in western Asia during this period?
- Why do you think these ideals were so appealing to some in this society?
- What similarities and differences do you detect between Al-Ghazali’s message and the messages of Buddhism and Confucianism from the other two books you wrote about this semester?
Guidelines for Focus Papers
Focus Papers should be written in essay format containing an introduction (with thesis statement), body paragraphs, and a conclusion. Papers should be a MINIMUM of 1,000 words but should not exceed 1,250 words. Papers that are significantly shorter will be penalized, and those that significantly exceed the limit are also subject to penalty. Students should be sure to answer the questions fully, offer historical context, be specific, and use plenty of examples from the book. Finally, a primary objective for these papers is to look more deeply into the histories we are learning about in the course. As such, students should consider information from other course readings to support their analysis when appropriate. Please do not do additional research, or use outside web pages, blogs, or wiki pages to complete this paper, the assignment is meant to be an assessment of your understanding of the materials offered in this course
above is book link attached.
above is link for Al-Ghazali’s background attached