Learning Goal: I’m working on a statistics question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
Check your progress. Use this activity to assess whether you can:
- Describe blinding in an experiment’s design.
- Explain why blinding is necessary for a given experiment.
A newspaper story in Knight Ridder Newspapers described an experiment in an article with the headline “Doctor Dogs Diagnose Cancer by Sniffing It Out.”
In the experiment researchers trained dogs to identify people with breast or lung cancer. The dogs were trained to lay down if they detected cancer in a breath sample. After the training, dogs sniffed different breath samples of people with and without cancer. Impartial observers watched the dogs and decided when the dog identified a person as having cancer. Researchers then revealed the condition of the person who gave the breath sample and determined if the dog had correctly identified the presence of cancer.
The newspaper states, “The researchers blinded both the dog handlers and the experimental observers to the identity of the breath samples.”
- Explain what the following sentence means. “The researchers blinded both the dog handlers and the experimental observers to the identity of the breath samples.”
- Explain why blinding in this experiment is important.
Module 6 Discussion Board
Use the Module 6 discussion board (opens in a new tab) to ask questions or provide feedback about the problems in any Module 6 activity – including this peer-reviewed assignment.
- Peer feedback should be available before final drafts are due.
- Instructor feedback is only available after an assignment is graded.
- Use these directions (opens in a new tab) to learn how to review feedback.
Click the “Next” or > button to continue.
Content by Cuyamaca College math faculty and licensed under the Creative Commons 4.0 International License (Links to an external site.).
Peer Review (FD Optional) (2)
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeFirst Attempt||
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeAnswering the Prompt||
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomePeer Review||
|Total Points: 10|