FORMATTING GUIDELINES – ESSAY/REPORT
When preparing the essay/report for submission, students must follow the following requirements.
- Page size: A4
- Margins: At least 2.5cm for all margins
- Page numbers should be in the footer, right justified.
- Size o Body: 10-12 point size o Titles: min 14 point size
- Recommended fonts: Arial, Cambria, Calibri, Tahoma, Times New Roman, Verdana.
- The font used in the body of the text must also be used in headers, page numbers, and footnotes. Exceptions are made only for tables and figures created with different software and inserted into the document.
Tables and Figures
- Tables and figures must be placed as close as possible to their first mention in the text.
- Figure and table numbering must be continuous throughout the essay/report (e.g., 1.1, 1.2, 2.1,
2.2, etc.). Two figures or tables cannot be designated with the same number.
- Tables and Figures must have a caption and, if appropriate, reference the source.
- Provide a title for your assignment.
- The name of the author or a list of authors (in the case of a joint report).
- Use footnotes (not end notes).
- Reference using the Harvard Referencing Style
Page 1 of 2
- The essay/report must follow the structure:
- Title o Introduction
- Main Body, for example an argument, supported by evidence, which is properly referenced, and critical analysis of the material o Conclusion o References
- The Main Body can be divided in sub-sections (or sub-chapters) if needed.
Page 2 of 2